Can I Apply Deck Stain with a Roller? Deck Staining Tips
Some of us like to use the summer for traveling, golfing, swimming, or reading. Others of us use it to stain the deck! (Hopefully we make time for work and fun!). So when the weather is right and the preparation is done, what is the best way to apply your deck stain? Can you use a paint roller to apply the stain on the deck? The answer is “yes, but…”
But what? Well, here’s the thing: paint rollers are designed for rolling in a paint tray and then transferring the paint to a surface, where it leaves a film. Stains are a different consistency, and they should NOT be applied thickly enough to leave a film. Still, a paint roller is a useful part of staining your deck. Here is how many people use them.
- Step 1: Spray the stain on a section of the deck with a garden sprayer. This helps you control exactly how much stain is applied to the surface.
- Step 2: Roll the area with a paint roller on a 4-foot pole. This helps to spread the stain more evenly, since the tiny droplets from the sprayer might not spread out and soak in evenly.
- Step 3: Use a paint brush to go over the board once more. The friction from the bristles will cause the pores of the wood to absorb more stain, which is exactly the goal.
- Step 4: Continue the process on a new section of the deck, taking care to blend the areas where the two sections meet.
This process is a great way to get a smooth, rich-looking stain job on your deck, which will enhance its beauty and give it lasting protection. Remember, though, that you can’t start with the stain. It takes thorough preparation to get the deck in the proper shape for staining.
- Kill mildew spores and clean the surface
- Remove previous stains
- Use a wood brightener
- Rinse thoroughly
- Allow to dry completely
If you follow all these steps before staining, your deck will look phenomenal! Another important tip is to find out if your stain has waterproofing properties. If not, you will probably need to apply a sealer to the wood after the stain is fully dry.
Deck Staining and Refinishing in the Washington, D.C. Area
Would you rather be using your free time this summer for relaxation and spending time with loved ones? Who wouldn’t? Instead of sweating through the deck refinishing process yourself, entrust it to a pro, and then you can really put your feet up!
Williams Professional Painting provides deck refinishing and deck staining services for northern Virginia and Washington, D.C. Whether you need it cleaned, stained, painted, or you need carpentry repairs, Williams Professional Painting will get it done with excellence and efficiency! Call us or contact us online for a free estimate.